Friday, December 2, 2011

Dawn

So this is my first time dipping a toe into the waters of the realm of BJDs.

Of course I've heard of them before, and seen them - but it wasn't really good stuff. Like most odd fandoms portrayed online, I heard about the dregs of the community - the elitists and crazies, mostly. And while I'm sure there's a fair share of both (you can't put such a large investment into something without investing a little of yourself, too, and that's likely to make anyone a little nuts, as I've seen evidenced from my own actions when in relations to my more labor-intensive hobbies), upon joining the DoA forums I'm pleased with what I've seen. The people are kind and creative, the debates are actually thought-provoking (surprising for a doll forum, right?) and engaging, and the dolls are, of course, beautiful and obviously well-cared for.

Seeing this community makes me feel a lot less worried about my own newness to the fandom, and it also makes me glad to know that there are so many nice and intelligent people involved. I'm looking forward to meeting more of them, but what I'm most looking forward to is getting my first doll.

DoA is a resin-only forum, but I also find pullips very intriguing. They're cute and affordable, and their exaggerated features and cartoonish proportions are very appealing. The one I'm most interested in is the taeyang nosferatu which is a very pretty doll and comes with all of his clothes and some accessories, as well as eyes and a wig, which is a nice deal for under a hundred bucks.

Unfortunately, the resin dolls are much more expensive for an initial investment, and the ones I'm leaning towards are not fullsets, meaning I'd have to purchase the clothing and wigs separately. Which...honestly sounds like more fun (though it would obviously also be more expensive). I'm considering the Apollo or Weylin (Weylin would get lilac skin so he'd be like a dark elf!), the Feng or Elf Boy (the elf would get the same treatment as Weylin, but I'm not sure about his face, I'd have to look up more pics - Feng is the biggest I've found and I kind of want a huge doll), but the prettiest by far that I've found are the Xue, Gang, Mu, and Ai. Ai also has hooves and horns, which are beautiful and cool. Xue has the prettiest face of any of the resin dolls I've been considering (her nose is what draws me in, I love that kind of facial structure - she reminds me of the women from Japanese woodblock prints), so I'm leaning towards her (though I wanted my first doll to be a male, I'd make an exception for her!).

Here are some pictures of Xue from DDE:


I'm so excited, I can't wait for the twenty-five day waiting period until I can access DoA's marketplace to be up. I know I should be more patient and not so impulsive, but I figure waiting a month will be enough, right? The person who has been guiding me through learning about BJDs says they have a nice community for purchasing secondhand dolls, which I want to look into as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment